This sermon series and this site is all about the Gospel. How is it affecting your walk and witness?

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Considering Ourselves (1 Corinthians 1:26)

Remember your calling. Think back to the moment you were saved! Remember how sinful, how foolish, how lame you were before Christ found you and saved you. Why did God save you? Because you were good? Because he thought of you and your merit above all? That doesn't even make sense. Good people don't need to be saved. By very definition salvation assumes that someone is in need of being rescued. Jesus Himself said He came to seek and to save the lost. Luke 19:10 People that don't think they are lost need not apply. I have talked to many that say "well that's nice for you but I don't need that Jesus stuff." Sermon audio

26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

We were total wrecks when Christ saved us whether we saw it at the time or not. Being saved out of a literal ditch of our own depravity is one thing but being saved out of 'good' suburbia is perceived as another. Both, according to scripture, are train wrecked lives without hope, without Christ. The trophies of God's Grace are the nothings of this world. Its a beautiful thing thinking about God ensuring His glory is displayed by going after those who have no glory of their own to bring to the table.
So, in the Gospel I preach is there room for the train wrecks? Is there any room for those train wrecks here at the church?

1 comment:

  1. I thank the Lord that I was a complete train wreck. I was never deceived into thinking that there was anything good in me. I knew that I was going to die and perish forever in hell. I just didn't know what I was going to do about it; I didn't know how I was going to escape the wrath of God. I remember hearing the "good news" of Christ and marveling at how good it really sounded. Almost too good to be true.

    "And hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick; I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners." - Mark 2:17

    I needed a physician because I was sick. Very, very sick. I praise Him that He adopted me as His daughter.




    I thank the Lord that there is room for such a depraved woman.

    ReplyDelete

How many years will this sermon series take to complete?